Monday, July 12, 2010

Viewing the works


This is an picture of Picasso - Vingt Poemes. It is popularly known as Gongora. The poemes illustrated by Picasso were written by Spain’s much loved 16th century poet Luis de Gongora y Argote, hence the name Gongora. The loose pages with the poems and images are contained within the covers which has the red word "Gongora" which can be clearly seen. This is protected with the open board covers. The whole book is then housed in the protective brown slipcase for further protection.

It has been very exciting. I travelled to the National Gallery Australia in Canberra to view three of the works I selected for the exhibition. They were Matisse – Jazz, Picasso – Vingt Poemes and Miro – A Toute Epreuve. I had to make a special request and the works were requisitioned from storage for my viewing at the research center. What a great feeling to look at these works first hand. I was not allowed to touch them. The pages were turned by one of the research assistants. However, they were much more vivid that I thought. Now the long process of negotiating the loan begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment